Lando Manetta-Mills History Center | Olde English District

User menu

Lando Manetta-Mills History Center

3801 Lando Rd.
Lando, SC 29724
Phone:
(803) 789-6361

This former mill village  has experienced over 253 years of history. Known as Walker's Mill during the American Revolution, the grist mill and surrounding area were occupied by British troops during the summer of 1780.  Later known as White's (early 1800s), it was one of the first fulling mills in the south. Benjamin Dawson Heath created Manetta Mills in 1896 and for almost 100 years made blankets that were sold all over the world under the Cannon and Lady Peppermill names, among others. The 1920s company store is now home to the history center which portrays the "mill village" way of life. Open 9am-noon on Mondays and Wednesdays and 2-5 pm on Sundays. Other times by appointment. No admission is charged, but donations are welcome. Handicap accessible. The annual festival, "Lando Days" is held the first Saturday in October each year. It features a car show, live entertainment, children's activities, street vendors and food for purchase.