User menu

Lando

3801 Lando Rd.
Richburg, SC 29729
Phone:
(803) 789-6361

The mill village of Lando has experienced over 253 years of history.  Known as Walker's Mill during the American Revolution, the grist mill and surrounding area hosted British troops during the summer of 1780.  Later known as White's mill in the early 1800's.  Lando was one of the first fulling mills in the south.  Benjamin Dawson Heath created Manetta Mills in 1896 and for almost 100 years made blankets that were sold all over the world under the Cannon and Lady Peppermill names, among others. The annual festival called "Lando Days" is held the first Saturday in October each year.  The 1920's company store is now home to the Lando-Manetta Mills History Center which portrays the "mill village" way of life. Each room tells a different story about the mill, post office, barber shop, bank, doctors offfice, school house, store, and mill house. No admission is charged but donations are welcome.  Hours of operation: 9:00 am - 12 noon, Mon & Wed; 2-5 pm, Sun. Other times by appointment.  Handicap accessible.