Lancaster Cultural Arts Center | Olde English District

User menu

Lancaster Cultural Arts Center

307 West Gay St.
Lancaster, SC 29720
Phone:
(347) 604-2179

The first brick church built in the area, it remains as the oldest brick building in the county.  Originally erected in 1862, this church replaced a wood structure built in 1835 on land purchased from Eliza Gill. The building is in early Gothic style architecture and has 16-inch thick walls of plaster that are marked to resemble stone. During the War, Sherman's soldiers stabled their horses inside the church. After the Presbyterian congregation built a church on Main Street in 1926, the building was used by various groups until it was sold to the Masonic Lodge. In 1976, ownership was transferred to the Lancaster County Society for Historic Preservation.  Many of Lancaster's early community leaders are buried in the graveyard adjoining the church which also contains the graves of veterans of five wars. It was added to the National Register in 1977.