Historic Craig House | Olde English District

User menu

Historic Craig House

1824 Craig Farm Rd.
Lancaster, SC 29720
Phone:
(803) 416-8420 (tour information)

John Craig, Esquire, whose family originated in southwestern Scotland, immigrated to South Carolina from Northern Ireland in 1772. After receiving a land grant in Lancaster County from King George III, Craig bought this land in 1773. John Craig, Esquire and several of his sons fought in the Revolutionary War battles that occurred in the vicinity. The current Craig House dates from the early 1830s, and was originally a federal-style farmhouse. In 1901, it was significantly enlarged with a Victorian front addition by John Edgar and Amanda Drennan Craig, who were married in 1883 at Kilburnie, then the residence of the Drennans. Craig House was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1989. The fields and woods surrounding historic Craig House are all part of pre-Civil War Craig Farm, which included more than a thousand acres. Craig Farm today consists of close to 400 acres and is operated as a cattle farm.