Friendship College | Olde English District

User menu

Friendship College

407 West Black St.
Rock Hill, SC 29730

Sponsored by the African-American Baptist churches of Chester and York counties, Friendship Normal and Industrial Institute opened its doors in October 1891. The school, which operated from a local church, offered students the basics in education and moral instruction from the King James Bible. During the 1920s and 1930s the school trained African-American teachers. Administrative and financial problems contributed to the closing of the college in the 1980s. None of the buildings remain, but there is a beautiful gate at the entrance to campus. A monument to the school's first president, Reverend M. P. Hall, stands solemnly just inside the gate.