Emmett Scott School & Neighborhood Center/McGirt Auditorium | Olde English District

User menu

Emmett Scott School & Neighborhood Center/McGirt Auditorium

801 Crawford Rd.
Rock Hill, SC 29730
Phone:
(803) 329-5661

In 1919 a bond election was held to raise $75,000 to build a combined grammar and high school for black children in the southern part of Rock Hill. The school was built in 1920 and its first principal was Professor Frank Neal. It was named for Emmett J. Scott who became secretary of Tuskegee Institute in 1898 and served as Assistant Secretary of War during WWI. In 1970 the school was closed. The City of Rock Hill purchased the property from the school district and dedicated it as a neighborhood center in 1973. Special tours by appointment.