Corinth Baptist Church | Olde English District

User menu

Corinth Baptist Church

302 North Herndon St.
Union , SC 29379
Phone:
(864) 427-4461

Baptist Church was constructed in 1894 as the first separate building to house the first black congregation in Union. The congregation was established around 1883 and first held services in the former Old Union Methodist Church. The owner of the mill that stood on an adjacent lot purchased the lot and building from the congregation for $600 in 1893. The congregation purchased the lot on which the Corinth Baptist Church now stands in January 1894, and the building was completed by the end of the year. The church which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, is a late 19th-century vernacular interpretation of architectural styles common to religious buildings in the region. View from outside; open on Sundays.