The Carroll (Rosenwald) School | Olde English District

User menu

The Carroll (Rosenwald) School

4789 Mobley Store Rd.
Rock Hill, SC 29730
(803) 981-1008

The Carroll School was built in 1929, a part of the Rosenwald Initiative. The Rosenwald School Building Program has been called one the "most influential philanthropic force that came to the aid of Negroes at that time". It began in 1912 when Booker T. Washington approached Julius Rosenwald, President of Sears, Roebuck and Company, with an idea for a pilot program that was to have a dramatic impact on the face of the rural South. Washington's idea eventually led to the creation of the Julius Rosenwald Foundation. This foundation provided seed grants for the construction of more than 5,300 buildings in 15 states, including schools, shops, and teachers' houses which were built by and for African Americans. The doors of Carroll School were closed in 1954. Largely due to the efforts of Rock Hill School District Three, this building has been restored, and is used for a fifth grade unit of study in which students visit the Rosenwald School on a rotating schedule to learn about the effects of the Great Depression in their community and to preserve the oral and physical history of the African American community before it was lost.