Camden First United Methodist Church | Olde English District

User menu

Camden First United Methodist Church

704 West DeKalb St.
Camden, SC 29020
Phone:
803 (432) 3101

The church was founded in April 1866 as a part of the Seven Charges of the Charleston District of the South Carolina Missions Conference. It was originally known as "Methodist Episcopal Church". The site where Trinity is located was purchased in 1828 by the White Methodist Church and a wooden building was constructed next to the current structure for use by slaves. An African-American congregation began worship services in this location in 1872 when the white congregation moved to what is now the Lyttleton Street United Methodist Church. In November 1875, the African Americans at Trinity United Methodist Church purchased it from the Methodist Episcopal Church. The church was partially destroyed by fire in 1925. A total of 30,000 bricks were donated to rebuild the church and Richard D. Belton, a Camden-based African-American contractor, was hired to rebuild the church. After its completion, on June 28, 1928 the congregation marched from Mather Academy (a site of temporary worship) to the new building. When the Methodist church structure changed in 1972, the name was changed to Trinity United Methodist Church. After a more recent merger with another church, Trinity is now known as First United Methodist Church. View from outside; open on Sundays.