Woods Ferry Recreation Area | Olde English District

User menu

Woods Ferry Recreation Area

State Road 574
Sumter National Forest
Carlisle, SC 29031
Phone:
(803) 276-4810 or (864) 427-9858

This area lies within a beautiful wooded floodplain surrounded by upland pine woods and maturing hardwood forests. Matthew Woods acquired the land in 1817 and constructed a ferry for horse and buggy traffic. The Confederate cavalry, under Gen. Wade Hampton, used the ferry to cross the river to harass Sherman’s flank during his historic march through the South. In 1936 the US Forest Service acquired the land, and began extensive erosion control and reforestation. Amenities include campsites (fee charged) and day use facilities which include 2 picnic shelters, 50 picnic tables with grills, a boat launch, benches along Broad River, and horse trail access.