Union Baptist Church | Olde English District

User menu

Union Baptist Church

1195 Hands Mill Hwy.
Rock Hill, SC 29732
Phone:
(803) 366-1556

One of the oldest in the county, Union Baptist was organized in 1867 by Reverend Barney Humphrey and was first called Sardis Church after the name of the nearby white Baptist church where the black and white congregations had once worshiped together. In 1871 Ku Klux Klan raids caused many of the members to flee the area. Some of those who had fled returned and reorganized the church in 1874. By 1879 the congregation had grown from twelve members to seventy. A conflict arose within the church and some of the members left and started their own church called Bethany. In July 1892 the pastors of these two churches succeeded in rejoining the congregations into one and called the new church Union Baptist Church.