Mt. Carmel AME Zion Church Campground (Camp Meeting Facilities) | Olde English District

User menu

Mt. Carmel AME Zion Church Campground (Camp Meeting Facilities)

4336 Mount Carmel Rd.
Heath Springs, SC 29058
Phone:
(803) 285-4254

The second of the two known such campgrounds in the Olde English District, Mount Carmel was organized by a former slave, Isom Caleb Clinton, and members of the Mount Carmel African Methodist Episcopal Zion (AMEZ) Church in 1870. From its inception, the campground has been an interdenominational gathering place that combined religious services with fellowship. There is a large open-air arbor in the center of the complex which is surrounded by approximately 50 small cinder-block or wood houses known as “tents.” Hundreds participate in the annual ecumenical services which are held in September. In 1981 the campground was placed on the National Register of Historic Places