McCorkle/Moore (Howard) House | Olde English District

User menu

McCorkle/Moore (Howard) House

109 North Congress St.
York, SC 29745
Phone:
(803) 684-2590

Built in the 1820s by Joshua Goore, the house was a stagecoach tavern known as Southwestern Hotel. Purchased in 1847 by Mrs. Benjamin (Elizabeth Anne) Neely, who used several small outbuildings as boarding rooms for young ladies attending the local Female Academy. Mrs. Neely sold the property to Colonel W.H. McCorkle, Confederate veteran and County Probate Judge. Colonel McCorkle planted the now-huge magnolia trees to mark the Secession of South Carolina to begin the Confederacy. The Greek Revival facade on the front of the house is a later addition to the originally Georgian design. All the walls inside the structure are of solid brick. Local legend has it that his house was considered for set use as "Tara" in Gone With the Wind but was turned down because of the close proximity to the street and neighboring homes, which would prevent necessary distant photography.