Lebanon Presbyterian Church | Olde English District

User menu

Lebanon Presbyterian Church

667 US-21 S
Ridgeway, SC 29130
Phone:
(803) 337-2188 or (803) 337-2213

The Lebanon Presbyterian Church was organized in 1872 and had its beginnings as a brush arbor. Like many of the post Civil War African-American Presbyterian churches, Lebanon was originally governed by white elders. In the early 1900s under the direction of its pastor, Reverend J. McCoy, the church opened the first parochial school for African-American students in Fairfield County. The school had an enrollment of between 75 and 100 students and operated for six months during the year. It ceased to exist in 1933 when it was taken over by the county.