Lancaster Normal and Industrial Institute | Olde English District

User menu

Lancaster Normal and Industrial Institute

404 East Barr St.
Lancaster, SC 29720

The Lancaster Normal and Industrial Institute was founded on the former site of the Pettey School, which had been established in 1879 by the Reverend C. C. Pettey. Lancaster Institute began in 1887 as a boarding school for African-American students. The Institute provided elementary and advanced training for students preparing to become teachers and industrial workers. It was closed in 1923. None of the buildings remain. A historical marker was erected in 1977 by the Lancaster County Historic Commission on the former site.