Fairfield Institute Marker | Olde English District

User menu

Fairfield Institute Marker

390 Congress St.
Winnsboro, SC 29180
Phone:
(803) 635-4242

This grade school and normal institute for African Americans was founded in 1869 by Reverend Willard Richardson (a white minister from Delaware of the Northern Presbyterian Church). Richardson, the school's first principal, intended for the institute to be a place to prepare African-American men for the ministry. By 1880, however, one hundred of its students were studying to be teachers and only twenty to enter the ministry. Despite the fact that the Fairfield Institute was thought of as a distinguished preparatory school, it suffered severe financial problems. In 1888 the school closed its doors and merged with Brainerd Institute in Chester. The original site of Fairfield Institute is located one block west of this marker.