User menu

Enfield (c. 1815)

145 Mc Iver St.
Cheraw, SC 29520
Phone:
(843) 537-8425

Built around 1815 by General Erasmus Powe, a veteran of the War of 1812, as a wedding present for his daughter Martha, and her new husband, John Ellerbe, this home was the headquarters of General Oliver Howard in March 1865, second in command to General William Sherman, a most convenient arrangement since Sherman took over the house next door as his headquarters. A part of the 213-acre Cheraw Historic District, listed on the National Register of Historic Places.