Coulter Academy (Former) | Olde English District

User menu

Coulter Academy (Former)

353 Second St.
Cheraw, SC 29520
Phone:
Cheraw Visitors Bureau (843) 537-8425

The academy was founded in 1881 along with, and as a part of, the Second Presbyterian Church. The school was named for a long time supporter, Caroline E. Coulter of Hanover, Indiana who was secretary of the Women's Department of the Board of Missions for Freedmen. The goal of the school was to provide an education for the county's African-American population. Coulter eventually became a co-educational boarding school with a high school and a junior college. 509 students were enrolled in 1943. The first high school graduating class was in 1925; the last around 1950. The academy merged with the public school system in 1949 and was last used as a school in 1955. Today a marker has been erected at the original site in front of the Masonic Lodge, once the academy's administration building. Students from Coulter have made careers in almost every walk of life, including doctors, lawyers, teachers, businessmen and ministers. Each spring the Coulter Memorial Academy Reunion is held in celebration of the school and its alumni.