Cornwallis House | Olde English District

User menu

Cornwallis House

127 North Zion St.
Winnsboro, SC 29180
Phone:
(803) 635-4242

One of the oldest extant dwellings in the second-oldest incorporated town of the up-country, the so-known Cornwallis House is documented in letters and diaries as being the residence of Lord Cornwallis in the "winter of his discontent" or the months of October 1780 through January 1781. Though several houses of the town were commandeered by British officers at the time of the occupation, precedence is given to the family traditions of the owners of the houses to preserve the story of that residence. British troops are documented to have occupied the Mount Zion Institute campus across the street from the Cornwallis House, and for years fragments of the weapons and ammunition have been found in the neighborhood. The first recorded records of the house date from 1797 when it was deeded to Captain John Buchanan, a Revolutionary soldier, by way of a sale at public auction to settle the estate of the prior owner Alexander Millar. The Buchanan family owned the property until 1862. Over the years the house has undergone several renovations and expansions, the latest in 2001. This is a private residence. Group tours available by appointment only. Contact the chamber for access.