User menu

Black Rock Baptist Church

1006 Old Richburg Rd.
Chester, SC 29706
Phone:
(803) 385-5425

According to church history, Black Rock Baptist Church was founded in 1853 by the Rev. Leroy Featherstone, who served as its pastor for 67 years. It began as brush arbor constructed of tree limbs laid on cane poles. Not only was Black Rock a place for social gathering and spiritual instruction, but it also served as a site to educate black children. The school at Black Rock was established in 1884 by Mansel P. Hall, a local minister who later founded Friendship Junior College in Rock Hill. Black Rock, as it is today, was constructed in 1920 and remodeled in the late 1960s. View from outside; open on Sundays.