A Treaty of Ghent Celebration Weekend | Olde English District

User menu

A Treaty of Ghent Celebration Weekend

Sunday, February 3, 2019 - 1:00pm until 9:00pm

Celebrating the end of the War of 1812 in grand fashion. On December 24, 1814, The Treaty of Ghent was signed by British and American representatives at Ghent, Belgium, ending the War of 1812. By terms of the treaty, all conquered territory was to be returned, and commissions were planned to settle the boundary of the United States and Canada. News of the treaty took almost two months to cross the Atlantic, and British forces were not informed of the end of hostilities in time to end their drive against the mouth of the Mississippi River. On January 8, 1815, a large British army attacked New Orleans and was decimated by an inferior American force under General Andrew Jackson (1767-1845) in the most spectacular U.S. victory of the war. The American public heard of the Battle of New Orleans and the Treaty of Ghent at approximately the same time, fostering a greater sentiment of self-confidence and shared identity throughout the young republic. Period-appropriate attire is encouraged, but all are welcome to attend these events regardless of what they are wearing. 1:00 – 5:00 PM Shopping in the 1815 Market – free admission on Friday 6:00 – 9:00 PM Soiree and Port Tasting at the Kershaw-Cornwallis House. Tickets good for entire event, but sign up for specific times for the port and Madeira wine tasting. Check event listing for ticketed events cost and times. Sat. includes an 1815 Ball. For more details about this event, please visit the website here.

Location Details:

222 Broad St.
Camden, SC 29020
Phone:
(803) 432-9841
Email:
info@historiccamden.org

The Historic Camden Foundation is a private 501(c)3 non-profit museum whose mission is to protect, preserve, and celebrate Camden’s extraordinary Colonial and Revolutionary War history. 107 acres sit atop the original 18th-century property of the city’s founder Joseph Kershaw and the fortified Revolutionary War-era town occupied by British General Cornwallis and Lord Rawdon’s men from 1780-81. General admission and self-guided tour prices are available on the website. Hours are Tue-Sat: 10am-5pm; Sun: 1-5pm. Closed Mondays and major holidays. Guided tours at 10:30am and 2:30pm.