Ridgeway | Olde English District

User menu

Ridgeway

Ridgeway (c.1799; .5 sq. miles; population: 328).

Laura's Tea Room

Originally known as New Town, Ridgeway obtained its present name when the owners of the Charlotte and South Carolina Railway decided not to build the railroad on the Camden route, but rather to use the "ridge way." The railroad spurred growth of the town. The first telegraph line was completed in the Ridgeway area in 1855 with wires being stretched from tree to tree. The telegraph played an important role in the Civil War as did the town itself. The earliest settlers came south in the late 1700's from Virginia after the Revolutionary War. They settled in the Ridgeway area of lower Fairfield District in 1799 and were Scotch-Irish Presbyterians. Others came north from Charleston in the early 1800's.

Today Ridgeway is still a very small town, but it offers many amenities. Tours include the old police stationCthe smallest on recordCwhich now houses the Visitor=s Center and Ridgeway=s Century House which served as headquarters for Confederate General Pierre G.T. Beauregard after the fall of Columbia to Sherman=s Army. Share in the excitement of a real‑live auction at the R. H. Lee Company. Ridgeway has several restaurants sure to please. Choose from Laura's Tea Room (also serving high tea), Rebecca's of Ridgeway, and more. Shop for custom jewelry, silk flowers, antique furniture, stained glass, , handmade soaps, art, old‑fashioned mercantile and more. The Pig on the Ridge BBQ Cookoff Festival is held annually the first weekend in November.

Back