Heath Springs | Olde English District

User menu

Heath Springs

Heath Springs (c. 1890; 1.3 sq. miles; population: 1,044).

Named for area's mineral springs

In the early 1800s, the Hanging Rock Mineral Spring became well-known for its “healing, bubbling springs". 50 years later the Hanging Rock Mineral Springs Inn began attracting people from many areas seeking the healthful mineral spring waters. Though Sherman's soldiers destroyed the inn during the Civil War, the area around the spring, known as the Heath Spring after its new owner, had begun to grow. Eventually a post office--originally called the Heath Spring Post Office was established. Later a business firm from Lancaster opened in the area--the Heath, Springs and Company, and in 1890, the Town of Heath Springs was incorporated. Shortly thereafter the post office soon changed its name to Heath Springs Post Office.

Back