Fort Mill | Olde English District

User menu

Fort Mill

Fort Mill (c.1873; 4.6 sq. miles; population: 7,587).

Hole #8, Springfield Golf CourseSouthern hospitality is well intact in Fort Mill, one of the fastest growing communities in the Olde English District. Careful urban planning complements the beautiful Anne Close-Springs Greenway with architecture, championship golf courses, and roadways that fit the pleasant landscape. Given its close proximity to Charlotte, many of the town’s 8,000 plus residents commute there for work, while a sizable number are employed at nearby Springs Global US, Inc., one of the nation’s largest textile manufacturing firms.

The town of Fort Mill was established in 1873. It takes its name from a colonial-era fort built by the British, and a grist mill on nearby Steele Creek. The Catawba Indians made their home in Fort Mill for many years. Scotch-Irish settlers began arriving in the 1750s and 1760s and a small settlement soon developed. Fort Mill grew rapidly in the late 19th century as textile mills were established.

 

In the mid-18th century, Thomas Spratt and his wife, Elizabeth, were traveling through upper South Carolina in their wagon. They spent a night among the friendly Catawba Indians and were invited to stay and live in the area on a large tract of land given to them. They became the first white settlers in the Fort Mill area and their descendants still live here. The town of Fort Mill was the site of the last Confederate Government Cabinet meeting (1865). Jefferson Davis and the Confederate Cabinet passed through the area in their flight from Richmond in 1865. The last meeting of the full Confederate Cabinet was held at the White Homestead in Fort Mill. Fort Mill's Confederate Park contains the nation's only monument to slaves fighting on the Confederate side of the Civil War. In the 1980s, Fort Mill was the home to TV evangelist Jim Bakker's defunct Heritage USA and PTL Ministries (now reopened as Heritage International Ministries).

Back