Chesterfield | Olde English District

User menu

Chesterfield

Chesterfield (c. 1810; 3.44 sq. miles; population: 1,318).

Museum and Visitor Center, Town of Chesterfield

Mill's Atlas, published in 1825, shows the "Stage and Main Post Road." passing only a few miles south of Chesterfield. This road, built about two decades earlier, provided a north-south road for stagecoaches running from New York to New Orleans. Later, the telegraph lines of the Postal Telegraph Company followed its route. Thus, it came to be known as the "Old Wire Road."

General W. T. Sherman, on his notorious "march to the sea," came to Chesterfield on March 2, 1865. While in the town, General Sherman chose the "Craig House" as his headquarters. His men torched many of the buildings, including the County Courthouse, the place of the first secession meeting. All of the records were destroyed. Sherman's men entered the G. K. Laney house, then under construction and started a fire in the middle of the room. A faithful slave put the fire out. The scars from the fire still remain to be seen in the old house. The people of Chesterfield buried their silver and other valuables to keep the Northern forces from stealing them. One family buried their silver in the horse stable where the horses dug it up many years later.

Chesterfield has come a long way since its earliest settlement. The town now has several industries of its own. It offers an educational program by maintaining both elementary and high schools. Chesterfield offers the tranquil peacefulness of a small town, but it is only a few miles away from several large cities.

Back