Boykin | Olde English District

User menu

Boykin

Boykin (c. 1790; 64.7 sq. miles; population:  3,043).

The Broom Place

Take a step back in time with a visit to the Boykin Mill Pond community. With a population of about 200, Boykin, South Carolina is a vision of a time past where a water powered grist mill still grinds meal and grits. Brooms are still hand-made in a circa 1740 slave house that has been restored using the original broom making equipment which is 100 years old. The historic Boykin Mill community is just nine miles from Camden. It is home to the Battle of Boykin's Mill, site of the last battle fought in South Carolina during the Civil War, and named in the top 10 Carolinas' Civil War sites by Clint Johnson in his book Touring the Carolinas' Civil War Sites.

Boykin Company Grille will tempt you with delicious lunch and dinner selections. Nearby is Swift Creek Baptist Church where generations of worshipers lifted their voices in prayer. Reservations are recommended for gourmet fine dining at one of South Carolina's finest restaurants, The Mill Pond Steakhouse, according to Fodor's Travel Guide.

The early settlement of Boykin was established because it was near a fine spring of "freestone water" (water relatively free from containing dissolved materials). In 1790 a small log school and a place for "camp meetings" was set up. The community took its name from an early school teacher and farmer named Lamuel Boykin. Many of the Boykin descendants still live here.

Boykin Mill Pond was established as a mill seat in the late 1700s. On May 5, 1860, a tragedy occurred when a festive party boarded a flat boat for a ride around the pond. When the boat hit a snag, the occupants panicked. As a result of this circumstance, a total of twenty-four people lost their lives. The pond is no longer accessible for recreational activities.

The Boykin Spaniel, the official dog of South Carolina, came from Boykin. Legend has it that a stray dog followed a banker home from a church in Spartanburg in the early 1900s. The banker sent the dog to his hunting partner, L.W. "Whit".

Back